Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Link Up with Advice!


Hi, All! 
I am super excited about the traffic and new followers that I have had from yesterday's Hop!  I hope you all have enjoyed what you've read so far!  Today I am linking up with Flying Into First Grade for her "Let's Get Acquainted" Linky Party!  This link up is all about giving advice to new teachers.  I still consider myself a new teacher since I am only entering my 3rd year teaching.  However, I have had a lot of help the last two years from some very seasoned teachers!  Since this my first year is still so close and fresh in my memory, I figured I could help out in the advice department!! I hope I can help in some way!




Buy…
 a comfortable pair of shoes! You will be on your feet ALL day! I tried to wear heels and cute shoes my first year, but that did NOT last long.  I wear Danskos a lot, or comfy flats and boots most of the time.  Once you find a pair that won’t give you blisters, or a sore back, or sore knees, buy another of the same pair!

Always…
save everything! You never know when you are going to need that agenda from a faculty meeting, or a paper proving you were at that professional development.  I hoard all papers like these and keep them in labeled folders in my classroom.  Once the school year is over, they come home to my filing cabinet.  My district lost records of a retiring teacher, which was proof that she worked in the district long enough to retire.  Luckily, she had saved all of her pay stubs for the last 30 years, and that was her proof.

Never…
be afraid to ask for help or admit that you do not know or understand something.  I know as the “new” teacher, you don’t want to seem like you don’t know what you’re doing, but let’s face it, none of us know everything. 

Find…
an organizational system that works for you. Pinterest will be your best friend for this.  It took me my first two years before I decided on a system that worked for me, which you can grab for free here!

Make…
copies before everyone comes into school (at the crack of dawn) or when everyone has left.  Trying to get copies made will be one of your biggest stressors if you don’t do this!  There WILL be a line.  There WILL be a jam.  There WILL be some light flashing. There WILL be no more toner!  Get it done early, late, and in advance!

Be…
Flexible!  I have found that even though you are the teacher, and you have the students a majority of the time, you still need to be flexible.  Sometimes the schedule needs to change.  Sometimes the speech therapist is absent and needs to fit in their services a different day, which interferes with your math lesson.  Sometimes there is a fire drill and you didn’t get to read that story or do that activity.  I have found that going with the flow and being flexible with your classroom and other teachers is the best way to not stress.  Some things are out of our control, and we just need to embrace that and go with it!  In the end, your students will be getting what they need, and you will be fine!

I hope this was some sore of help!


4 comments:

  1. This is such great advice! I agree with everything you said, especially the "be flexible" part...you will win over the most important people in your school (secretary, custodian, principal) if you can be flexible!

    Love your blog!!
    Stephany
    Primary Possibilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! Thank you so much for your kind words!!! Being flexible is soo soo important!

      Delete
  2. Someone recently nominated me for this award because I had less than 200 blog followers, so I am paying it forward and nominating you. See my post to see what you can do:

    http://stuckeyinsecond.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!! Thank you so much!! I am super excited!!! This is my 2nd nomination!!!! I will add my answers to your questions ASAP!!! I am so glad I found you on the hop!! =)

      -Furnell

      Delete